In today’s fast-paced, streaming, viral, texting, blogging, and tweeting society, content is everywhere. It takes a specific set of skills to read, comprehend and, most importantly, to make meaning from the flood of information. That’s why the Common Core State Standards place such an emphasis on informational text. And that’s also why we developed Content Area Reading Success—to teach students how to think about science and social studies texts and turn that understanding into content-area knowledge.
Content Area Reading Success teaches essential reading skills and comprehension strategies in the context of on-level informational texts. The units, topics, and multiple passages contained in each level expose students to a variety of text structures while teaching them the most useful skills and strategies to understand the content of the passage. Other program features include:
- 100% informational content-area texts, written on grade level (grades 3-5).
- Science and social studies topics derived from the NGSS and NCSS grade-level standards.
- Explicit instruction in every lesson, focused on reading skills, comprehension strategies, and nonfiction text features.
- Graphic organizers used before reading (to model the reading skill) as well as after reading (to help students process the information they have read).
- Text-dependent questions throughout the reading passages, which require close reading and critical thinking.
- Embedded support for academic and domain-specific vocabulary.
- Response writing opportunities at the end of each lesson, in forms that include opinion and informative/explanatory writing.
- A variety of formative, summative, and ongoing assessments for targeting instruction and documenting student progress.
Speak to us today!