Guided reading is perhaps the most well known aspect of balanced literacy. It is precise, focused instruction that reinforces the skills introduced during shared reading while teaching new skills to be practiced in peer reading.
Key Links Literacy Guided Readers provide the perfect vehicle to drive students towards higher-order thinking, comprehension, application of skills, and retention of knowledge.
- 212 unique titles spanning grades K-5.
- ThinkLinks™ prompts on every page of every book.
- Higher-order questions that serve as examples for teachers.
- Thought-provoking informational topics and humorous fiction texts.
- Ideas for peer collaboration in talking and writing.
- In-depth Writer’s Craft ideas in levels silver and above.
How it works
The use of precisely leveled, authentic texts — coupled with rigorous, focused instruction— make guided reading a powerful approach in leading students towards independence in reading.
Quality, Authentic Texts
Quality, authentic texts maintain students’ attention and yield richer, deeper thinking. In order to practice higher-order thinking and questioning, emergent, early, and fluent readers each need a vast collection of rich, engaging texts designed to help them meet specific goals.
Gradual Progression of Difficulty
Each title within Key Links Literacy Guided Readers is creatively written, but also carefully designed. Smart, precise leveling and sequencing ensures that each book builds on skills introduced in previous titles. Gradual progression of difficulty helps students build on newly acquired skills and apply them to new and different forms of text. No monkey business here!
Going Bee-yond Good
Key Links Literacy Guided Readers establishes the skills necessary to become not only a good reader, but a great thinker. With the right support and scaffolding, what starts out as basic fluency and understanding of the text can transform a good reader into a great 21st century thinker.
The key to a great guided reading lesson is powerful questioning, but coming up with the right questions for every guided reading lesson can be a mammoth task. ThinkLinks™ Panels, located on every page of every Guided Reader, scaffold small-group instruction with critical thinking and support and structure for every step of the guided reading lesson.
- Preview / View panels guide students through their first reading, building their strategies for making meaning from the text.
- Reading Review zoom in on key elements of the text to reinforce comprehension strategies, vocabulary, and critical thinking skills.
- Writing Review panels focus readers’ attention on the features, techniques, and structures used by good writers—in preparation for their own writing (Fluency and Upper Fluency levels only).
Speak to us today!